BULKING

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Amy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Maggieb14

Maggieb14 Member

I totally agree with Sophie, everyone is different. I also think it involves a lot of factors such as how lean you are prior to a building phase, genetics, how long you build, etc. ~ I recently did a building phase for 6 months and only gained 8 pounds. I was still able to fit into my jeans (comfortably, albeit a little snugger) and only had a small amount of fat in my lower back and legs. I could see a difference, but my family didn't even notice. I had to point it out that I had put on weight. Equally, I'm currently in my 11th week of a lean out phase and have managed to lose weight/fat without any problems. It's all individual.

2. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

This is a somewhat variable question and I know everyone's different. I'm curious as to when a bulk is deemed necessary? Personally I don't think a bulk for myself is necessary. Granted when competing in the NPC Figure division I needed my legs to be more streamlined. I could possibly bring up my back and shoulders however I'm thinking if I lean out my legs, the proportion will be the same. Erik mentioned when finally getting to goal "lean-ness" one would then set calories at maintenance (15x BW) at their current lean BW. I'm not sure there would be a need for a bulk phase... Thoughts?

3. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

How do you mean?

4. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Nobody NEEDS a bulk phase, just as most don't NEED a leaning phase. It all depends on what YOU desire in terms of aesthetics.

5. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

What part are you asking about?

6. OneMadMonkey

The part about too much time getting lean backfiring in a bulk.

7. drea

drea Member

How does being too lean backfire when bulking? I'm curious too :)

8. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

I didn't say being too lean can backfire, I said "spending too much time dieting beforehand in an effort to get really lean can backfire" before bulking.

The longer you diet, the faster - and harder - your body will try to hold on to extra calories as fat when you start to increase your food intake. Not only that, but the leaner you get, the hungrier you get, and there's often a point where hunger wins out over willpower. I'm over-simplifying something that's complex and involves hormones, but it all comes down to what I just wrote.

So often we think "I just need to lose a that last little bit here" (I did it, and I know so many others are doing it), only to lose that little bit, live in that look for what will - when you look back on that time in the future - feel like mere moments, and then to quickly gain what you worked so hard to lose. We get so obsessed with leaning down "just a little bit more" that we lose sight of the big picture. And I think, when the goal is to eventually build muscle, the goal of leaning should be to shed most of the fat so you see what your true "blank" canvas looks like, and to make building a bit more comfortable (since you'll be starting off leaner.)

Hopefully that makes sense...

9. Emma

Emma Member

Amen to that, makes perfect sense

10. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

ok, im freaking out here. Its been three weeks since started bulking and my weight is going up way too fast (4 lbs total). I know micros are fine (erik is my trainer) but i was wondering if it could be mostly bloating??is it normal to gain this much weight after a cutting phase? i was at 13% body fat before starting bulking.
    let me add also that in this three weeks i had 2 free meals...

11. Arajkowski

Arajkowski Active Member

Extra carbs = extra water. Carbs love water, remember that. Being that I'm sure you're carb intake is more than it was on a deficit, a good majority of it is water. Embrace it and think of the gains you'll make!

12. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Focusing on the weight gain during a bulk doesn't help at all. You need to accept the fact that you'll gain water weight and yes, you'll gain fat. How you looked 3 weeks ago at the end of your diet phase will not be how you'll look a few weeks from now. The mental aspect of bulking is the most difficult part of this phase, and you need to be willing to change your focus away from the mirror, the scale, and how your clothes fit, otherwise you'll bail (as many do) before you gain any noticeable benefit.

What was your goal when you decided to bulk? To gain muscle, right? You need to focus on that and put blinders on where everything else is concerned.

13. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

thanks for the replies. Im not so worried about the weight gain and i know some of it will be fat. i even prepared myself mentally that i may gain around 10 to 12 lbs for the whole bulking (maybe 3 to 4 months). i was just worried that im gaining too fast, i guess :)

14. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Erik will let you know if you are gaining too fast.

15. OneMadMonkey

That's good to know for when I start bulking again.

16. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

thanks!

17. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

When bulking, how many Calories should you be aiming for? Protein at 1g per "current" body weight, Fat %? Carb %? Should you be doing x12-14 your "current" body weight?

18. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

you need to find maintenance which is approximately 14-16x body wt. and then start slowly increasing. How you set fats and carbs is up to you.
    some good info in this thread:
    http://www.leanbodiesfitness.com/showthread.php?4763-Bulking-calories

19. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Thanks Ileen, good to know. I am trying to figure this all out. Im definitely a novice once it comes to all this nutrition stuff but I want to learn as much as possible about nutrition first before I move on to learning more about training. I feel like nutrition is the most important part!

20. Elisabeth

Elisabeth Member

Ok so I'm 135lbs.. Maintenance would be 135 x 15 = 2025 x 110% so 2227.5 Cals for a bulk.. My question is -do I stay at 1g/bw for protein or do I aim higher or lower?

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014