BULKING

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Amy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Tarsh22

Tarsh22 New Member

Hi guys, I'm about to go into my first ever proper bulking phase (with erik) Can I ask has anyone got any advice?

The average gain seems to be 12lbs over 3-4mths, is at right? How much of that do you guys think is muscle?
    Do you think the weight you gained sat in you differently than just getting 12lbs fat. Lol.
    What did you find the hardest about it and what was the easiest?
    When did you know it was time to g back to a cut?

2. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

the gains can vary a bit depending on individual and compliance.
    I think the hardest part for most people is 'watching' themselves gain fat when most have come off a diet phase of getting very lean prior. Clothes fit different and often get tigher. Fat pops up on most people first in the places they'd least like to see it.

I've always loved the strength gained :lifter: , the food volume isnt bad :piggie:

Just focus on the work and phase you are in and enjoy the ride.

3. Tarsh22

Tarsh22 New Member

Thank you. I'm def not the leanest so I'm hoping this helps with it not bing such a shock to gain 10lbs.
    Has anyone tried bulk then diet for 4weeks then bulk again. I'm wondering if this means you can bulk for longer without getting too massive

4. Tarsh22

Tarsh22 New Member

So I'm 3weeks into my bulk, up about 2lbs, have had 2step ups in diet plans, I'm guessing im now at 15x, (I don't want to add the calories as I love that I'm not longer in control) but the weirdest thing is that each time I take a step up for the first few days I've got a little pot belly and I feel really satisfied with my diet and then about 3days later, my waist gets leaner again and I get hungry, not cutting hungry, but still very hungry.
    What's with that?

5. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Continuing to be hungry is a good sign IMO, and definitely more the norm. I have been as high as 2600 calories and still very hungry.

Feeling a little bloated, or even having a jump in the scale is your body just adjusting to the increase in calories/carbs.

I think I put on 3 pounds in one week (according to the scale) when I first went up in calories. Then it just leveled out.

You are in good hands with Erik. He keeps your gains (fat) conservative.

6. Tarsh22

Tarsh22 New Member

Thanks Amy, this is really helpful. Especially since I seem to have collected another 1lb after the 2nd jump.
    It's great to know what's happening is 'normal' I was beginning to think that still being hungry was in my head. I'm doubt Erik is ever going to hear from me that I can't eat more food, lol.

7. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Building is much harder than dieting IMO. You have to have a lot of trust in the process since you really won't see your 'gains' until you diet back down.

Good luck!

8. sonia

sonia New Member

I think i'm going to jump in a buiding phase too!! I'm anxious to see new muscles after that!!!

9. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

I'm the opposite. I'm about to start my first "diet down." Besides hunger, what can I expect? If I stay compliant, can I expect faster results, or will it take as long as the building does? I have 12 weeks to make my goal. Is that usually doable?

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

we dont usually put time limits on goals like that. With that in mind. Staying compliant will bring the positive outcome without having to wonder what would have been if you didnt. Some people can get a way with less compliance but if you have a timeline/working towards something, i'd stay compliant.

11. OneMadMonkey

Thanks Illeen. I certainly plan on staying as compliant as possible. I always aim for 100%. I only have one event to attend in April. Other than that, I'm hoping for some smooth sailing.

12. bthatch

bthatch New Member

My cousin dates an NFL Patriot player (won't say who) but last season they wanted him to bulk. What he had to go through sounded more difficult than toning/losing weight! They monitored his eating, making sure he ate every 2 hours...and the eating had to be good, big meals. They made sure he got his proper nutrition in, but they also didn't say that he couldn't eat certain foods. So it was pretty much a free for all, but after a few weeks, eating every 2 hours can make you not feel too good! It was definitely tough for him.

13. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

this is my first week on a bulking plan and i'm already up 2lbs (probably mostly bloating due to eating more calories). I know i'm in good hands since i'm currently working with Erik, but I do stress a little bit every time the scale goes up. I was wondering when do you make the determination of how long you are gonna follow a bulking plan before cutting again. Do you put a time frame for bulking at the beginning of the bulk or you just bulk up for as long as you can handle the extra lbs? also, Is 12 week considered a good bulking phase or is it too short to be beneficial for muscle gain?

14. OneMadMonkey

I asked Erik the same question when I started bulking. His response was to bulk until you can't stand the fat anymore. LOL. Now I'm leaning out. My goal is to get as lean as possible and then bulk for longer.

15. talies1980

talies1980 New Member

OneMadMonkey how lond did you end up bulking and how much weight did you gain?

16. drea

drea Member

This may be a long shot - because I know people don't necessarily like to show 'fuller' pictures of themselves - but would anyone want to share their progress pics or before/ after pics of their bulk? it would help someone like me, to actually be able to see what bulking can do to ones body (especially during the bulk) ..... Any sharing would be much appreciated :) thank you.

17. OneMadMonkey

I only bulked for 12 weeks because I have a trip I'm going on in 3 weeks, and I didn't want to outgrow my bikini before then. I only gained 3lbs in 3 months. Once I get back, I'll lean out a little more, and then I'm hoping to bulk for about 9-12 months.

18. csworen

csworen Well-Known Member

I am in a building phase now. I compete in figure, so I want to put on as much as I can. I am amazed at the results. I am probably 2+ months into this. I am getting bigger and more "solid," if that makes sense. My first pictures until now, show more of an hour glass shape. I am continuously loosing inches around my abdominal area, which I am not complaining about!!! LOL. My weight hasn't gone up much (not even a whole pound), although my pictures show clear growth. I rely on the pictures whenever I feel icky about the weight (number on the scale). So, I know I am not putting on much fat, which is the advantage of "bulking" slowly :)

19. Emma

Emma Member

I'm leaning out a little more before I start a build. Turns out that I am skinnier than I thought I'd be, who thought I'd ever complain about being skinny!!

I just want to get a little more fat off my lower body before I start building up. I'm looking forward to it, it'll be nice to be eating a little more food through the winter months.

20. cdnmom2girls

cdnmom2girls Member

Well, everybody responds differently to bulking. For example, I know one woman on here - Liz - had a heck of a time gaining any weight at all, and when she was at her highest weight, she was still really lean. Then you get people like me who look like overstuffed sausages, and believe me, that's not a picture I'm ready to put out there. Maybe one day.

You'll gain weight, and some of that will be fat. Truth is, you have no idea how YOU'll respond to a bulk, so looking at other's pictures would only show you how THEY responded. You need to be in the right mindset to go into a bulk, which means physical appearance needs to take a back seat for a while, and you'll need to keep your goal in front of you constantly.

I'll add that spending too much time dieting beforehand in an effort to get really lean can backfire as you head into a bulk.