BULKING

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by Amy, Dec 21, 2007.

1. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Since it is obvious to me that there is no "one-way" to bulk, I am interested to see your personal experience. Post up!! :thumb: The more details the better.

Have you done a bulk before?

How long was the bulk (period of time)?

How much weight did you gain?

Was your diet primarily clean foods?

What were your strength gains? Specifics please

Did you find it hard to diet down afterwards?

What was the overall result after bulk and dieting down?

What would you change/do differently next time?

Thanks!

• Like Like x 1
  2. donnajo

donnajo Feeling Strong!

:popcorn:

Good thread idea Amy. :thumb:

3. Erik

Erik Admin

:ditto:

I'll reply in a bit.

4. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

Have you done a bulk before? I'm doing my first right now... and I'm doing my food but I'm no expert, so ... take that for what it's worth.

8 weeks... I think. Maybe 9.

How much weight did you gain? So far 6 lbs... 2.5 weeks to go.

Was your diet primarily clean foods? :ninja: 75% clean...

What were your strength gains? Specifics please I wasn't doing the same lifts before I started this... so to some extent I wonder what is actually more muscle and what is CNS improvement :)grin: I just learned this today!). So far I have made what I consider significant gains in my squat, deadlift, and military press. There have also been gains (but less significant) in my bench and my (fake) pullup.

Did you find it hard to diet down afterwards? That remains to be seen... starts in February!

What was the overall result after bulk and dieting down? Ask me in May.

I'm so green... I wish I'd been doing negative pullups instead of using an assist machine... I'm sure there are lots of other things but I don't know them right now... oh! I started with an analog body scale and switched to digital in the middle.

5. Erik

Erik Admin

Giving you the male perspective ...

Yes, many times.

Hmm, I would guess the length of time has been on average in the 3-4 month range.

Depends on how successful I was with my eating, but last year I went from 218 to 244. That was fun.

I've been as high as 253 back in the day though. :lifter:

Primarily yes, but with the freedom to eat more off plan food. I feel the most important thing on a bulk is eating ENOUGH and this is something most people simply don't do. And that's why they experience poor results. In the natural trainee, muscle growth and caloric intake I think are very tightly related.

Can't remember pre/post bulk numbers. I've been doing this so long that my size, strength, bodyfat levels have gone up and down over the years depending on what I was doing.

No. Easy in fact.

Back when I was more consistent with things the result was simply me getting better and better over time. Bulk up, minimize (but accept some) fat gains and then diet the fat back off while attempting to hold onto the new muscle. Rinse and repeat.

Relative to this current time? I'd be more consistent with my eating. I haven't eaten enough on a daily basis. I've made reasonable gains and am about 15lbs heavier, but I've gained more fat than I'd have liked to. I have been a bit too sloppy in my eating this time around. I think I fall into the trap that I'm not eating enough so then I try to make up for it with too much calorically dense foods at the wrong times of the day. :lol:

6. Erik

Erik Admin

I might consider throwing in some short dieting blocks during my next long term bulk. One to drop a small amount of fat (anything helps) and two, and probably arguably my main reason, to 'reset my appetite'.

I find it hard to eat so much food. I have to get up in the mid 4000s on a daily basis and after a while I find it gets hard. :shrug: So a short dieting stint can serve to reset my appetite again.

So I guess a cyclical approach.

7. Fitwolf

Fitwolf Esta mi!

bleh!

8. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

last winter with Erik. currently bulking again.

thanksgiving thru end of jan

i gained about 12lbs

Very clean. I followed it exactly. I was scared i muff up the process and wanted to see what my results would be following it to the T.

the biggest increases were exercises/wt for a single rep, i was able to do them for reps/sets.
    Oddly, *my* largest strength gains came post my bulk when i was dieting down.

nope, i like dieting.

a nicely improved back/shoulders and a leaner me

not sure i'd change anything. It worked beautiful. I followed my plan and get the results we were after. Currently bulking again (with Erik) and expect the same awesome results for legs. :flex:

Bulking isnt bad. I mentally prepared myself for it for over a yr. You have to embrace the process and eat, as Erik said, to get the best results. Cant wait to strip the fat and see what we grew this time :D

• Like Like x 1
  9. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

Have you done a bulk before?Yes

How long was the bulk (period of time)? About 4 months

How much weight did you gain? About 12 lbs

Was your diet primarily clean foods? probably 85% clean

What were your strength gains? Specifics please Will have to look these up to be sure - best gains were on squats and shoulder presses

Did you find it hard to diet down afterwards?No - I was ready to see what I had accomplished. I think that the fat weight came off easier than it had in the past (just regular dieting before I knew what to do).

What was the overall result after bulk and dieting down? When I was back down to my pre-bulk weight, my key measurements (hip, thigh, waist) were all inches smaller than previously. BIG change.

What would you change/do differently next time? Maybe try not to bulk during the summer. :lol: I am starting a new bulk in a few weeks, so I will let you know!

Last edited: Dec 21, 2007
  10. cutiewithabooty

cutiewithabooty Member

I am currently bulking. I started in mid November, after my contest.

I will stop in mid January, when I start dieting again. So, about 2 months.

Went from 115 (contest) to around 135 now. Most of that weight is probably fat and water. However, I do tend to gain muscle very easily.

NO!! I've been eating whatever I want, but making sure I'm getting enough protein every day. I'm also making sure I eat fruits and veggies also, and not just crap.

My strength increases every workout. I'm adding extra weight each time for every muscle group! After dieting for a year, I feel like I'm on steriods now! :dumbbells:

I can't wait to diet again!! I gained too much fat...I can't fit into my jeans. Depressing.:suicide:

It is going to be great, since I know I will have more muscle mass!

Not go so crazy with the eating! :oops:
    [/QUOTE]

11. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Just finished :D

14 weeks i think

15-17lbs

not all no. I think that during the diet phase I get into a groove and keep it super clean but this was a time to relax. I think it will help me when I diet

Huge gains. This is what kept me going. Kept me gaining weigh too.
    I posted specifics on my blog.

I will tell you in a couple of months :D

Hopefully more muscle

So far i wouldn't change a thing. I LOVED my training for this phase and i loved lifting heavy. Hopefully I will see results from eating big and lifting big

12. Cindy Day

Cindy Day Well-Known Member

Yes, last year.
    I think I bulked for 6 weeks followed by 2 more weeks at maintenance.
    12 lbs
    Primarily followed my planned with added starbuck latte's daily. :lol: PLUS the basket of goodies Noel gave me at Christmas. ;)
    Ileen & I were on a Shoulder/Back specialization and increased strength on pretty much all movements.
    No. We were all too anxious to drop the fat. :D It wasn't any harder dieting down that time than the initial time dieting down with Erik.

I noticed most increase in my back/lats more so than in my shoulders but I do think my shoulders grew some as well.

It was totally worth it to me although I started my bulk/specialization because I had an injured hip and couldn't work on lower body anyway, and also needed to bring up my calories while I healed. It was Erik's idea to make the most of the down time in an upper body specialization and I thought it was a great idea as well. No regrets. If after I diet down I feel I need to work on a particular area, I would bulk again.

The only thing I would do differently--and this is really speaking to post dieting, not post bulking-- is to not gain my weight all back.

13. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

Nope, first intentional one. I've got decent size already, but I guess it just slowly accumulated over the years.

Started 'officially' at the start of December...will go through Feb, so 3 months...

I'm about 20lbs over contest weight right now...will more than likely be another 10....we (my trainer n I) are trying to add about 8 lbs muscle in the 3 months...fat isn't an issue as I know we can get it off when we need to.
    No! I ate cheese fries dipped in ranch dressing Tuesday night at Outback w/ my trainer--he doesn't want me eating too clean....but, I'd say about 60% clean because I just feel better eating better.
    Actually, so far not much. But, I am the opposite...I gained a ton of strength during my last prep...but, I am starting supps that will greatly enhance strength so I know this will go WAY up...
    I know I won't. It'll come off. Always does.

Waiting to see! But that's a good, oh 6 1/2 months away!
    Not sure yet....

14. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

Yes, last year.

Last year, 10 weeks. This one will be about 18 weeks.

As of right now 24 pounds.

Define primarily. :lol: I get in all my protein and my good fats. The rest is whatever I feel like at the time. Cookies with my morning coffee (made with :love: to go straight to my ass), or cheese and crackers. Just depends on what I’m hungry for. I have no rules here, and am going with a calorie is a calorie theory.

A shoulder injury has held me back some, but in recent weeks I have had 5 PR’s.

Last time, no. I expect the same to be true starting next month as well. There will be zero problems, taking this all off.

More muscle. That better be true this time too! :lol:

That will depend on my results this spring. Right now, I’m thinking next year to go at least 20-22 weeks. We’ll see how I feel about it at the end of August. :hehe:

I also wanted to add something. I am not over analyzing this whole process. My goal is simple. I want more muscle. To achieve that goal, I need to eat. With the food, comes some fat, that I will need to strip off. It all seems very basic to me.

I got my head in this game when I started. I want what I want, more than I care what random people think of how I look right now.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Erik

Erik Admin

Awesome.

:bowdown:

16. kelster

kelster ...

SO awesome :bowdown: GREAT way to look at it and im sure all ur hard work and efforts will have paid off when you lean down :poledance: :lifter:

so proud of you partner!! :buddies:

17. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

:ditto: Repped you for that. I am slowly getting the hang of this very attitude.... I actually went and bought several pairs of 'fat' :lol: jeans last week...no sense in trying to squeeze into a size 0 and depress myself.

18. lawgrrrl

lawgrrrl For mah girls

This is why you are the coolest. Wise words from a wise woman. :clap: :clap: :clap:

19. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

:bump:

This is in reference to Carolyn's question :wink:

20. Q45

Q45 +h3 H@rdc0r3

yes, last year during the winter.

3-4 months.

20-25lbs

at the beginning it was. but then it got alittle difficult to fit in all my required calories by just eating clean. seeing that im a hard gainer i had to eat alittle dirty in moderation just to get to where i need to be.

tons..bench went up by 75,squat went up by 100 when i felt like it. deads went up by 100...i love bulking just because i can lift heavy and focus on strength and muscle gains, not so much for the food.

nope, dieting is easy for me. it's the consumption of and enormous amount of food required to have a successful bulk thats difficult.
    in fact, i look forward to the diet.

muscle gains, strength gains, pr's and then holding on to all the gains that i got during the diet phase.

eat more....

• Like Like x 1