Building NOT Bulking

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Pearly, Sep 25, 2006.

1. Erik

Erik Admin

I'm not sure I agree with this. If a person is cycling calories, they have periods/days where they're going to be over maintenance and periods/days when they're going to be under maintenance.

It's a good strategy to minimize fat gain.

2. quickie

quickie Active Member

In a fatloss diet, do you have periods where you attempt to lose fat and periods where you attempt to gain muscle?

EDIT: not referring to UD2.

3. Erik

Erik Admin

Why is UD2 exempt? It's the same principle. And the subject here isn't a 'fat loss diet'.

4. Tony

Tony Well-Known Member

Here is a snippet from Kelly Bagget:

5. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

No one's saying you're not going to put on fat in this thread... What were talking about is managing and controlling the bulk through carb cycling...

Also, don't give me that unless your on performance enhancements-drug crap. That line when used is just a naturals way of throwing out an excuse of: "I can't do it - I can't bulk and stay lean..." "I just can't get ripped for a show."

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  6. quickie

quickie Active Member

UD2 is a more extreme setup, that's all.

I know a fat loss diet it not the subject, but if it is a principle of muscle gain, why would be for fat loss? 'It' being periods of fat loss and muscle gain within a diet.

7. Erik

Erik Admin

Yes, and? It's used with success, as those who cycle calories (basically a similar principle) do to minimize fat gain. Complicated and excessive to you? Maybe. Doesn't make it so to others that benefit from the structure.

The point is MINIMIZING fat gain. You don't have to be in a big surplus every single day. No one is talking about not gaining any fat on a bulk.

8. quickie

quickie Active Member

Depends how long you want to wait.:wavesad:

It's all about compromises.

9. Erik

Erik Admin

What?

You can't go telling people who have successfully used a strategy, at least to their satisfication, that it doesn't work.

It's something that I used to always do as well. Now I'm doing it differently. I just eat big for a month or so and then crash diet for a week and then rinse and repeat. Same end effect.

10. 3sweeties

3sweeties Well-Known Member

Tony, thanks for the link, I think I'm a skinny-fat ectomorph.:lol3:

11. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

and not maximise muscle gains

:shhh:

12. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

And how does a person measure for maximise muscle gains? How does one know if the muscle was maximised or not??? How far does a person have to diet down before they can say they have put on "X" pounds of muscle?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2006
  13. Aaron_F

Aaron_F A Grade Asshat

measure for maximal muscle gain?
    Maximal muscle gain is just that, it is not determined by adiposity.

In order to minimise fat gain you need to eat less on average, its a compromise, waaa get over it.

14. Robben

Robben Well-Known Member

Okay, thank you very much...:shrug:

15. strongchick

strongchick Well-Known Member

Ok....question then.

If you average the same amount of calories/week doing a calorie/carb cycle vs just going enough over maintenance, how does that minimize fat gain? Is it just about partioning and timing your carbohydrates around your workouts?

We like to say that calories are the most important thing in fat loss and muscle gain, so I'm wondering if those are equal/averaged how it changes things. Does the nitty-gritty minutea of daily fluctuations really make that much of a difference?

Not that I don't agree, I'm just curious as to how that would work on a physiological level.

16. Blondell

Blondell Former Postwhore

I'm having trouble getting all my cals in. Is it okay to eat more simple carbs? Taking in all this fiber is filling me up beyond belief; to the point of discomfort.

17. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

How many grams of fiber per day are you eating now?

18. ReneeG

ReneeG Well-Known Member

Yes!

19. Blondell

b/t 30-35g

I was trying to keep my foods relatively clean this time, but JEEZ! :lol: I'm full b/f I get to meal 4. :oops:

20. Blondell

Thanx, Renee! :thumb: