Breast Pump HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by Amy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

Do you prefer electric or manual? My favorite was always the Avent Isis manual, it took a little longer to pump than with an electric but it yielded better results.

The medela electric has been getting some bad press lately but that and the ameda were always favs among my LC friends.

2. pinkgloves

pinkgloves I SHALL NOT FLAG NOR FAIL

I also had a Medela brand pump...9 & 13 yrs ago..lol. Good luck finding one. Hopefully someone you know may have one to sell or loan you??? :unsure:

3. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

We are a bunch of BF'ing freaks here :) Think we heard it helps with post-baby weight loss?! lol

4. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

Mine was from 6 years ago so don't take my word against recent reviews.

5. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Good to know.

So get the little handheld one and the electric? Or look for the one where it comes with both?

I won't give the bottle for as long as possible for that reason. Kai was introduced to the bottle too early and then wanted that more.

Yeah I BF with both kids. But never needed to pump as I just stayed at home.
    I also never produced a lot. Had to supplement from about 4 months and up.

Thanks for the heads up. :thumb:

Ooh..I don't want that. But I know I will need sports bras for teaching classes. :lol:

I don't know anyone personally that I would be buying from, so I will get a new one. I don't want to risk that. EWWW. :scary:
    I have no idea what I prefer. :lol3: Since I have never pumped. I had a little handheld manual one that I never really needed to use. :shrug:

I have seen both the medela and ameda. Hmmm

6. Amy

Thank you.

Nope. Most of my friends have older kids like my other two. So they just laugh. :lol:

But I will be getting a new one as I really need one that is reliable and CLEAN.

:lol:

I think everyone hears good and bad with both. Maybe I will eenie meenie miney mow and decide. :p

7. hoopinjenn

hoopinjenn The Penis Genius

Never worked for me :p But I always packed on a lot when pregnant ugh!

8. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

didnt work for me either! Of course my thyroid was mucked and I didnt know at the time :grr:

We also rented a hospital quality unit in the beginning. Nursed the last three till about 1.8months ea.I wasnt able to use any of the manual hand held thingies.. Ended up SO engorged ea time, in the hosipital getting it pumped :oops: AND I could supplemented the la leche league!

9. Amy

:ditto: I never really lost weight while breast feeding. :shrug:

You sound like my mom!
    I didn't get so lucky. :lol:

10. Carolyn

Carolyn Well-Known Member

My little one is 10 weeks old and I started pumping around the two week mark. I'm using the Medela Pump In Style Advanced. We got ours at Babies R Us for around $200 during a sale and some coupons. So far it's been great. I'm a stay at home mom and only use it for the times I need to get out to the gym or run errands. The only problem I found was trying to pump both breasts at the same time, so I normally pump one at a time. There is a bra you can by so you can have your hands free.

And as far as nipple confusion I think every baby is different. We had to introduce a bottle in the hospital the second night we were there because my colostrum wasn't enough, she was cluster feeding and it was the only thing that would calm her down. We introduced the bottle again at 2 1/2 weeks so I could get back into the gym with no problems. She'll take both. My pediatrician doesn't believe in nipple confusion, but like I said before, each baby is different.

One last thing (and the pediatrician might tell you this too), since you're BF'ing make sure you get a vitamin D supplement since it doesn't pass through breast milk. I was shocked when my pediatrician told me this. Out of everything that does pass through the milk vitamin D doesn't. It's called D-Vi-Sol by Enfamil. I've been giving the Poly-Vi-Sol to her daily (the Poly is a multivitamin) orally or in a bottle. Makes the bottle look nasty but she drinks it! Good luck!

11. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

If it helps at all, at the hospital we use Medela. The breastfeeding experts claim it is the best pump out there. I work in the Newborn Intensive Care Unit, so we have moms that have to exclusively pump for MONTHS!

12. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Congrats Carolyn!

13. Carolyn

Carolyn Well-Known Member

Thanks Ileen!

14. sugee

sugee Well-Known Member

:hi:

You can often borrow/rent a hospital-grade pump for a little while. The hospital pumps have a stronger suction than most pumps you purchase in the store (Target, Babies R Us, etc.), so the milk typically drains faster.

You can speak with a lactation consultant from the hospital/birthing center, and/or with someone at your local La Leche League. They can be very helpful in deciding on a breast pump and also if you are wanting to breastfeed longer this time around too. They're a great resource for any breastfeeding-related questions and concerns.

For the record, I used the Medella pump with my wee one. I'd use it again this second time around too. It's a single, electric pump and did the job well. A double pump would take practice to maneuver, but it would definitely speed up the process. A hand-held pump would take much longer to get out all the milk.

Good luck in your decision!

15. PEGS

PEGS New Member

I am totally on board with Medela. I actually used 2, I had the double electric and the swing for when I was travelling, they are expensive, but worth every cent.