Breast Pump HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Fitness & Pregnancy' started by Amy, Aug 29, 2011.

1. Amy

Amy Just say no to CANDY!!!

Okay ladies...it's been a long time since I have looked for a breast pump and now there are WAAAAAAY too many options!! :help:

I need something that will get the job done :lol: As I will be teaching boot camps and helping clients. I need the best one out there. :lol:

Give me your suggestions please. :D

2. Erik

Erik Admin

Aren't they just like utters?

:cardio:

3. Amy

Did you seriously just post that??

:ecw:

4. Shannaks

Shannaks This seat's taken

Medela pump in style double electric pump. You want a GOOD pump and this is best on the market IMO. I have one and it worked great through both kiddos. They are quite expensive though. Maybe you can find one used like craigslist, hospital classifieds. They last forever. Just get all new cups, tubing, bottles for sanitary purposes.

Don't you mean udders? And that's the term given to a COW's body part not the actual milking machine. :bitch:

:funny:

:cardio:

5. Amy

Hmm..never thought of that. I will check into that. Not really feeling like spending the $279 for them in the store. :faint:

6. Erik

Erik Admin

:wave:

7. uberlibrarian

uberlibrarian What would Missy do?

I second the medela pump. Best thing ever.

LOL Erik :wtf:

8. Amy

This is one of those topics I have a hard time discussing...sorta like the other one you like to tease me about. :icanthearyou:

Did you have the double breast? Pumps fast?
    I don't want to feel like I am doing it non-stop. (Sorry if I sound like I am complaining) With my daughter I felt like either I was pumping or feeding. No break at all. And this time I really want to get back to a few boot camp classes with out a pump or baby attached to me. :lol:

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Aww I'm sorry. :oops:

10. Amy

It's okay. You are forgiven. :p

:kiss:

Just don't bring up the other topic and we're good. :lol: :cena:

11. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I had the ameda. So fast and awesome. And it was not huge which is nice.

12. schultzn

schultzn Member

My little guy is 4 months and I also have the Medela Pump in Style and love it. It works great and you can adjust the suction. You can normally get 20% off coupons at Babies R Us and they're good for the Medela pumps.

Just an FYI - as far as re-using pumps, the FDA recommends against it because these pumps are considered open systems and you can only change the tubing and not the actual internal diaphragm. I think the likelihood is slight for there to be any diseases, but enough for me to think about getting a new one - which is what I did.

13. spa_68

spa_68 Member

:wave: Amy!

I had to pump exclusively after the first 3 months with my second one because I went back to work. OMGosh, I pumped every 2-4 hours. I had an Ameda. When I originally had trouble right after she was born, the hospital rented me an Ameda (hospital grade). I got the Purely Yours (home grade) and it was great! The best thing about this one is that the milk does not go through the base unit, so you can buy a used one and know that your milk will not be contaminated. You just buy the Hygenikit (tubing, etc) and you're good to go.

I would say this brand is comparable to the Medela; although the Medela is probably more well-known. Let me know if you have any more questions because I had this mastered. I even did it in an office with 7 male engineers!

Steph

14. Amy

I just got back from my first trip to Babies R Us. Being on bed rest, I was never able to go.
    I probably should have left my 2 other kids at home as they just made me feel WAAAAAY overwhelmed with everything. :lol:

I did get a coupon for 20% off so I will use that when I go back tomorrow.

Steph, that makes me feel better. I don't want to feel like I am always pumping or feeding. :sad: :lol3:

15. Shannaks

It pumps fast. This is why you want the double. Only way to go. Also when you get the pump attachment kit (tubing, cups, bottles) it should have a little manual hand held pump. I found that in the beginning when I was super engorged if I hand pumped for a few min ( since the regular pump can be strong) before I nursed it too some of the pressure off. And you don't need to pump feed pump feed. Get her established nursing boob only for a while and at about 3 weeks start pumping but save it all in your freezer. If she gets introduced to a bottle too soon she may reject the breast and that can mess up milk production. Plus nursing is so incredibly bonding and forces you to sit and relax and enjoy your new baby. Make Kai and Kamele do more chores then. ha ha ha

16. Shannaks

Right but the milk doesn't go through the actual pump so its fine. Straight from breast to bottle and as long as you keep all the tubing and bottles, cup things ( part that suctions to breast whatever its called) sanitized often you should be fine.

17. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

Me too, I tried the less expensive ones, the Madela was worth every penny!! I think I found mine on e-bay. If I still had it I would send it to you :(

18. shimmeringpearl

shimmeringpearl Member

At this point for me it was like, "Grab a bucket! It is starting to rain in here!" We had to go "cold turkey" bc of poison ivy on my breast, it was not pretty.

Have you BF before? I only ask bc if you wear sports bras the pressure may cause leaking, just a heads up.

19. Shannaks

Also sports bras can compress too much and cause milk supply to lower/ not produce as much.

20. schultzn

schultzn Member

Well -- according to Medela's website, they also don't recommend re-using the Pump In Style pumps, only the hospital grade. I agree, the milk doesn't go through the actual pump, but if Medela recommends it as well as the FDA it seems a bit scary to buy a used pump. Different story though if you were buying one from a friend/co-worker, etc. Here's the link from Medela's website:

http://www.medelabreastfeedingus.com/tips-and-solutions/14/can-i-buy-or-borrow-a-pre-owned-breastpump