Blendtec or vitamix?

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by stephm2010, Jul 25, 2011.

1. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Anyone have any opinions on the blendtec and vitamin blenders? I want to get a new one. I have gone through a million magic bullets

2. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

I have a vitamix that I picked up from Costco. It's a traveling salesperson, so you have to catch him. Williams-Sonoma carrys them too, different models with more buttons.

I love mine and I don't even use my kitchen aid blender anymore. Lots of smoothies, veggie drinks, and I made soup just to try it out. Love it. It is big though so it is a pain to clean when I'm making just one serving.

3. cathymp

cathymp Well-Known Member

I have a Vitamix too.

4. epona

epona Member

have to third the vitamix. got an old 4000 model on ebay for not a lot of $, and the thing is a workhorse. i use it for everything now, and can even make my own almond butter in it!

it is a bit noisy if that sort of thing bothers you. sounds like a jet engine in my kitchen. :lol3:

5. patti

patti Active Member

Vitamix here, too. Went through 3 other blenders, including a KitchenAid, always burning up the motors. My kids used to like to stop at our local Tropical Smoothie, so I asked them what they were using: 'Vitamix'. It hasn't let us down yet and we use it EVERY day.

I agree that it is noisy! When I have an early a.m. smoothie, I'll take it out on the porch and run it out there so I don't wake up the family.
    Wonder what the neighbors think....

6. cathymp

cathymp Well-Known Member

That's so funny. I can't even tell you how many blenders I burnt the motor out in. It was Ken that suggested that I finally get a vitamix.

7. Shannaks

Shannaks This seat's taken

Vitamix!!!!! Love mine

8. Phoenix17

Phoenix17 Member

Steph~ I have a very, very old vitamix, prob used 2-3 times, given to me by this elderly lady who purchased it and then stored it away after trying it out. It's the older model, stainless steel, smaller capacity, with the spout. Let me know if you want to try that out or if you want to come over and check mine out.

9. Cass

Cass Well-Known Member

Blendtec

:)

10. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Never heard of blendtec.....I have a Vitamix and LOOOOVE it!!!

11. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Hopefully you have a large kitchen.. it sounds like the Vitamix (how about Blendtec) is huge!

We keep buying these smaller thingies (your magic bullet?) because while they do not last long, they are just nice & small so you can use and store it easily.
    With these you can make single portions without having as much to clean up as you're making for yourself.
    Both the large kitchen machine as well as a slow cooker are collecting dust in a closet as they are simply too large to be used frequently.. one cooker/kitchen aid alone occupies the entire kitchen table w no more space for anything else.

Right now I'm using a hand-held mixer w a whisk fairly often as it is the only way to make protein fluff. :)

[​IMG]

When you have a large family to feed and have a huge kitchen, disregard this post and go ahead..

12. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Yvana, we have that unit too.. Well something similar.. it is no way going to compare to the bullet which is great.. but Vitamix or Blendtec(never hear either) are going to blow those units out of the water!

13. patti

patti Active Member

14. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

15. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

I may take you up on that! I am leaning toward the blendtec because that's what my mom in law has and it's awesome and no taking it apart to clean, but I have never seen or used a vitamix sooo... Idk. Plus sooo expensive..

16. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

what is protein fluff?

17. pavermama

pavermama Rut Row!

Vitamix is the same.....no pieces to take apart to clean....simple

18. Espi

Espi perfumes, not chocolate!

Protein fluff is like protein pudding and is created by whisking protein powder with milk (soy milk or other milk-like fluids also work).
    It doesn't work with whey , works beautifully with micellar casein or milk protein concentrates but somehow does not work as nicely with egg protein powder as it just won't get stiff. Maybe unless you add thickening agent .. I believe Ileen has made this into an art?

BTW, didn't exactly know how a Blendtec/Vitamix looked like and found 2 images as well as this PDF: http://www.blenditall.com/Vitamix vs Blendtec.pdf

[​IMG]

19. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Wow! Great info. Thanks.. Looks like blendtec wins..

Illeen speak up about this protein fluff business! :popcorn:

20. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

i have no clue what Yvana is talking about lol. I've never made fluff.. Protein pancakes maybe, that i whipped egg whites.. or pro ice cream..fluff, nope. Didnt even know what it was till reading Leangains. though maybe its a psmf thing too?