Benching form ?

Discussion in 'Training' started by Jenn_in_FL, Mar 1, 2008.

1. Jenn_in_FL

Jenn_in_FL New Member

How far down should you go when bring the arms back down? Parallel? Slightly past?

When I BB bench (which is rare because of my wrist pain and usually it's decline) my arms break parallel. I keep my hands on the rough part and when I bring the bar down I almost touch my lower chest.

When I DB bench I only come down to where the weight almost touches my armpits or slightly above.

Now for the reason I ask. I can get the 55's up but I cannot get the 60's up. I could bench them if someone handed them to me but when I lay back there's a chance I could drop one of them on myself and I can't move them up. Sometimes left gets it up but righty doesn't budge.

Should I start DB benching with lower weight and dropping the arms lower? What muscle am I using to get them up so maybe I can make that one stronger?

Jenn

2. Erik

Erik Admin

Full range of motion = full development.

Provided there are no joint issues with performing a full ROM bench press, you should be touching your chest.

Do you allow your wrists to bend back? Or do you lock them straight?

Bottom range of the bench movements is very pec focused. Towards the top/lockout, there's more triceps.

IF you have to sacrifice weight to use full ROM and proper technique, then do so. It's akin to partial squatting for leg development - trumped heavily by full squats.

I heard a statement made the other day in reference to form and shorter ROMs in order to use heavier loads - don't try to look impressive. Just be impressive.

3. Mols

Mols My BFF

I always wonder, when Im doing DB bench press, my right side fatigues a lot more than my left, even though my left side IS weaker and is smaller. I wonder if Im cheating on my left side and dont even know it? :scratch: Also, when pushing the weight up from the chest, should I be pushing straight up or kind of out and up?

4. Erik

Erik Admin

Unless I'm reading this wrong or you're explaining it poorly, I am seeing this as a bit of a contradiction - or at least a statement that needs more clarification.

Up.

Think 'above the eyes for presses and flies'.

5. Mols

Mols My BFF

Thats why I said, im weird. I am definetely stronger on my right side, although when im pressing DBs, I feel my right side is firing a lot harder and fatigues faster than my left.....should I be doing isolation work for my left side to catch up?

6. Erik

Erik Admin

If it's a lack of neural drive to the left pec, you might want to consider having an ART guy work on it.

7. Mols

Mols My BFF

really....interesting, i never would have thought that. What would he do?

8. Erik

Erik Admin

Attempt to remove whatever is impairing the neural drive. Perhaps some kind of impingement somewhere, subluxation, etc.

If that's what it is.

It would otherwise be weird for the actual muscles of one pec to be weaker than the muscles of the other pec. Hence my thinking it would be a neural issue.

9. Mols

Mols My BFF

Thanks, something to think about. Been meaning to see someone for ART for a number of things anyway. Guess its about time to jump on the horse

10. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

You'll love ART!

how should they be?

11. Erik

Erik Admin

Try to keep them more straight. (ie. inline with your forearms)

12. Jenn_in_FL

Jenn_in_FL New Member

I was watching Noel's video which is what made me ask. From behind in the DB bench it looks like she brings them down to a 45 degree angle then back up. The first set from the side seems lower though.

Would pausing at the bottom help?

13. Erik

Erik Admin

Help with what specifically?

14. Mols

Mols My BFF

Can you in a nutshell tell me what it entails?

15. Erik

Erik Admin

http://activerelease.com/what_patients.asp

That's just the ART portion. But if an impingement or a subluxation is the cause of the impaired neural drive, then any good chiropractor should be able to help with. ART-practicing chiropractors just tend to be 'better' IMO.

16. Jenn_in_FL

Jenn_in_FL New Member

Mine go back, especially on flat BB, decline seems to align things differently.

I've tried keeping them straight but they always bend. I've tried just doing presses from the racked postiton straight up and they bend. They didn't bend when I went thumbless but their survivor skills must have kicked in on that one.

17. Mols

Mols My BFF

18. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

19. Jenn_in_FL

Jenn_in_FL New Member

Increasing my pec strength to get the DB's up for the first rep

20. Erik

Erik Admin

People's will automatically go back unless they consciously try to keep them inline.