Artificial Sweetener

Discussion in 'Diet, Nutrition and Supplements' started by TEACHK, Apr 14, 2013.

1. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

WATER. Bleech. Water only seems to go down easily at the gym. I could drink a gallon of diet Arizona iced tea easily or a liter of diet coke but don't. I really try to stay away from stuff with artificial sweeteners (wish it wasn't in my favorite PP). So yesterday I made my own decaf iced tea with Stevia. Is Stevia really healthier than Splenda, Truvia, etc.?

2. cg8216

cg8216 Member

I'd like to know the same thing regarding the difference between Stevia, Truvia and Splenda and why one is favored over the other.

3. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

I'm going to do a search here..and online as well...

4. cg8216

cg8216 Member

I think the biggest thing is splenda is artificial and truvia and stevia are from plants. I assume that is why there is a preference for truvia and stevia. Between those 2, I am not sure.

5. TEACHK

TEACHK Well-Known Member

Been reading online but not sure they're reliable sources. And even if something has FDA approval, I'm not convinced it's safe longterm. Read that Stevia derivative Reb A is safe but raw stevia is not...read that Truvia has more sugar alcohols and not much RebA. All so confusing. Think it's easier to work a teaspoon of honey into my diet plan for my oatmeal and learn to drink iced tea "straight up"!

6. Angelbb

Angelbb New Member

I know Stevia is a 0 cal sweetener where as truvia has calories.

7. Emma

Emma Member

All I know is that sucralose does terrible things to my gut by Stevia goes down fine. There's a drink here in Australia called Lemon Quencher by Emma and Toms that's sweetened with Stevia, I put about 100ml in one litre of water and it helps the water go down much easier.

8. Dayna

Dayna Member

I just put lemon juice in my water. Num Num!! I agree though... plain water.. yetch

9. bikinidare

bikinidare Member

I do the same thing!! I have gradually backed off how much I use but it's my favorite thing which is funny since I use to refuse to even drink water if there was a lemon in it.