Anyone ever built there own Website?

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by Noel Clark, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

How hard was it?

How time consuming?

And what software did you use?

2. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Yes.

Not hard.

Frontpage.

Wordpress for blog. Gallery...I just think it's called gallery.

It can be time consuming, yes.

3. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

Ali have you ever used Dreamweaver?

4. Ali

Ali Senior Member

Nope...what is it?

5. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

another website builder...program.

6. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I've poked around with Dreamweaver a bit. It's pretty complicated, but it's also the gold standard for website editors.

7. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

I am finding it extremely time consuming...:grumble:

8. pixie

pixie Well-Known Member

Dreamweaver takes more time upfront, but I think it's worth it. To be fair, I've not made an entire site, just created pages / updated an existing site.

Corny as it sounds Dreamweaver for Dummies is a very helpful book.

9. hydrick

hydrick Senior Member

Are you doing it?

10. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

ooooh thanks. I am just playing with it now, but didn't realize (duh) that it would be this time consuming.
    Thanks

11. MaryBeth

MaryBeth Shedding the pig fat.

At the office we use a MAC and the program is Adobe GoLive. I manage it for Matt (hubby) and often create new pages. I update it everytime something changes.

It's easy. But there are easier programs for "beginners" and websites that cater to different layouts.

12. fitcajungirllisa

fitcajungirllisa Do you ZUMBA????

Ahh, the beauty of having a husband as a webmaster........no updates, no action, hahahaha :hehe:

But seriously he has worked hard for over 3 years on my site, since it was launched (he did it because I did my first show and relatives from New Orleans that were coming to see it did not get to because it was the same weekend as Katrina but they wanted to see my pics) and takes great pride in it. He has also done some very good bartering for services and products for other business's sites. We were able to give my son over $1200.00 of musical equipment for Christmas in trade for making a guitar shop's site.

Now my site is actually starting to make me some $$ through marketing my Zumba classes!

My husband switched over to dreamweaver after building it initially with frontpage.

Check it out, www.fitlisa.com

I know that dreamweaver is more involved, but that's all I know. Sorry I could not be of more help :(

13. hsquared

hsquared LOL

I actually did an 8 hour online course for Dreamweaver. Being the type A personality that I am, I made a notebook of all the lessons. I have the program too. If you want the notebook, I will be happy to give it to you. It is complicated but it has some nice features. Let me know if you need some help!

14. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

:hehe:

:nod:

:woohoo:

15. hsquared

hsquared LOL

Just let me know!! I will be happy to help. It has been a while, but I can try. Or, I can just give you the notebook and wish you well :lol3:

16. Noel Clark

Noel Clark Senior Member

I might need both :lol:

17. hsquared

hsquared LOL

That's cool!! Anytime!

18. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

Ditto. Except I used Dreamweaver...and a Mac.

19. Bunny

Bunny Blessed

Dreamweaver has a steep learning curve Ali, but I think it's worth it. The code it produces is much "cleaner" than some programs in many folk's opinion.

It's definitely time consuming & it really depends on how much you want to learn & how much there is to the site as to *how* time consuming.

If it's a site that's more than a few pages and/or is going to grow I'd suggest learning about setting up & using templates as it makes updating the basic look *much* easier.

I personally thinks it's also advantageous to understand the basics of html, but I'm sure there are many who would disagree. I learned Web design as hand-coding and found it incredible valuable when trying to figure out bugs on a page. Way easier to figure out looking at code where you can see of there's an open tag or something equally silly that might not show up in the wysiwyg editor.

Just my $0.02 :) Good luck with it & hope hsquared's notebook helps ya out lots!