Advice on divorce?

Discussion in 'Mindless Banter' started by kirstny, May 16, 2014.

1. kirstny

kirstny Well-Known Member

I figure there's a lot of peeps here, so maybe some have some advice on this.

Is it possible to do it all through just 1 lawyer for the couple? And is mediation preferable or does it eventually need to go to a lawyer anyway?

I don't expect it to be contentious, but who knows...

Looking for the easiest, most cost effective, least painful route.

2. csworen

csworen Well-Known Member

Hi. My husband and I went through one lawyer. We mutually agreed on our division of assets etc. It was quick and less painful than a drawn out process. So, yes....good luck.

3. kirstny

My husband talked to a lawyer and the lawyer said it'd be a conflict of interest to represent both parties?

4. kirstny

So... it's possible to do a divorce online without lawyers?

5. csworen

Oh wow. Idk. Our lawyer had me and him sign a waiver that if we were to fight over asserts, he couldn't represent both of us. Maybe that's the difference? Do us, it was just about drawing up paperwork and signing. The online stuff is new to me.

6. csworen

For not do...lol

7. kirstny

Yeah, I'm hoping it's pretty easy for us too. I'll have to get my own lawyer.

So... life DOES get better, right??

8. Bewitched4011

Bewitched4011 Member

It totally does!!! It may not seem like it now - I am 4 years postDIV - and at the time my entire world fell apart! Thanks goodness for incredible friends and coworkers I overcame it all. Its not something I never wish upon anyone - especially when infidelity is involved.

YES -LIFE DOES GET BETTER - take time for yourself, lean on those around you when you need it! That was the hardest for me - to LEAN and vent.

Wishing the best for you!

9. csworen

I agree w Heather. It does...takes time...definitely lean on those who support you. I stayed busy so I didn't have time to think about it. I also got a puppy, not on purpose, as my friend couldn't keep him. He ended up healing me :) My divorce was pretty much mutual...just grew apart. Still wasn't easy. You will get there...HUGS...

10. kirstny

Thank you, guys. Just what I needed to hear.

11. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Hang in there K.

12. kirstny

Thanks.
    :love:

13. Bewitched4011

Bewitched4011 Member

Its so funny - I got a puppy too!! Within two months of leaving him!! Traded a hubby for a puppy! :yahoo:

14. Bewitched4011

Bewitched4011 Member

how are you holding up?

15. kirstny

Doing pretty well, actually. We're getting the house ready to sell and then we'll file for divorce. Hopefully we can just file online without lawyers. That's what I'm hoping.
    Hubby went through a very angry phase, but I think he's doing better now. He's at least being civil.

This whole thing is SO hard. But I am leaning on my support system and have some great friends and my family is awesome.

Thanks for asking!

16. cupofjoe

cupofjoe Bring it on!

I've been there and done the whole divorce thing twice. The first time my ex and I used the same lawyer. We had already agreed on everything up front, filled out the papers that I found in a divorce workbook ( you can buy these at any major bookstore or on amazon) and just signed everything in front of the lawyer and 6 weeks later we were divorced. My second divorce, I again went and got papers online, some states offer this option and luckily mine was one of them, filled them out had my ex sign them and got them noterized and went to my lawyer and filed them with her and again six weeks later I was divorced. I could have probably went to the court house and saved a little bit of money by filing myself but there was the little issue that my ex husband was refusing to leave our home and he was mixed up in some sinsister things and I needed a lawyer to protect myself.

It's been a year and a half since the last one ( gosh that sounds bad), I never regretted either of my divorces, the first one I married too young and the second one I married a dumbass who got mixed up into drugs and was more of a bad roommate then a husband. The second one affected me more because I felt stupid for even getting myself mixed up with him. But through a lot of self work, forgivness and just learning to let go, I'm finally moving past it. My first husband and I are actually on good terms. I wouldnt call ourselves friends but if I run into him in town we always speak for a few minutes..

This too shall pass so hang in there

17. mcv

mcv Blissfully Maintaining

Hey there K - haven't been on in a long while and saw this. Just wanted to say good luck and hope you are getting through ok!

18. kirstny

Thank you!