Acne Problems - Diet and hormone related?

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by chickadee1020, Jul 16, 2014.

1. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

I was fortunate enough to have pretty decent skin when I was younger. However, since my early 20s, I've had adult acne, which I've been battling for about 5 years. After going to a traditional dermatologist, I realized those remedies would not work for me so I've been focusing on a homeopathic and holistic approach for the past couple of years. I firmly believe that the reason for my acne is related to potential hormone imbalances and what I eat and drink. My acne started after I was on birth control pills for years and also when I started to workout more and change my diet.

I would love to hear from anyone that has had similar experience and would love recommendations. I'm actually going to see a new holistic doctor tomorrow and I expect that she will run some blood work. If there are any specific things you would recommend that I test for to help me prepare for my new journey with LBC and that may also help with skin problems, I would love to hear about them! Thanks!

2. OneMadMonkey

OneMadMonkey Well-Known Member

I've been having the same problem since May of this year. I can't get my face to stop breaking out, and I've never had acne issues before. I started exfoliating 3x a week, and it has made my face noticeably smoother and younger looking, but the bumps keep coming. It seems like a new one everyday.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

hard to say what is causing it but when there is an imbalance with your hormones, it could be that. Higher androgens tend to be the cause in many people but not all.

4. cathymp

cathymp Well-Known Member

This is why I get it. Acne is, for me, a clear tell-tale sign that my estrogen is dropping and I need to get in for an adjustment.

5. novamt

novamt Member

My skin was the same. I have wondered if BC permanently changed my hormones when I was younger. Anyway, fast forward to 14 years later...I began using Rodan and Fields acne line and it was the first time I had clear skin as an adult. I don't sell it and I won't refer you to my sales person because I'm not suggesting this as a sales pitch - it just truly worked for me. And I was a skin care addict - I have had numerous expensive peels, used prescriptions from the dermatologist, Retin A, and used some very expensive lines like Obagi. R & F isn't cheap, but it's less than some others and it's the only one that's been effective. It says it might take a few weeks to see the progress. It took me longer, like 6-8 weeks, but it's been great since. I second having hormones tested too. Wish had done it years before I did and so grateful I finally did! Good luck!

6. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

Thanks everyone! We didn't do any hormone testing so I'm going to have to check in with my regular doctor and have her give me a referral. In the meantime, I have some foods that I am supposed to stay away from and she actually recommended that I don't use hair conditioner and gave me something else to use. For the most part, she thinks it is allergy based and stems from eczema. I'm going to give this a try for little while and also have some blood work done in the meantime. I'll definitely ask to test androgen levels!

7. SheSalt

SheSalt New Member

A lot of times acne can be from simple things, like dirty makeup brushes or applicator (brushes are best and should be cleaned with cleaner weekly). Also, touching the face too much with dirty hands is a big culprit. These things might not have been an issue previously, but as other things change with our bodies we can become more sensitive to things like that. Also, WHERE your acne is can be an indicator of the reason for the break out. Chin/jaw line and mouth area are usually stomach issues. They are also big "leaning on our dirty hands" places. There are several charts on line to show the areas, you just need to check them and take an average, since there is so much garbage on line now and some areas can be affected by more than one thing.

Acne treatments are like any other treatment, if it not addressing the reason for the acne, it won't cure it. So if you have intestinal or other health issues, topical treatments probably won't solve the problem. The bad thing is the side effect of a lot of topical treatments, like photosensitivity. This in itself can cause you to break out more and or create redness of the skin from minimal to mild sun exposure (depending on what and how often you use). Scrubs can also leave the skin sensitive and more easily irritated by external triggers, again causing MORE acne. So more is not better with the skin.

Best action; stop touching your face, use mild and more natural cleanser, keep your brushes clean, don't exfoliate or scrub and lay off the topical treatments for about a week or two and figure out what is causing the acne by analyzing the affected areas, the type of acne and what IS touching or being used on your face (changes in laundry products can also be culprits). Of course have your blood work done, and check your diet, then try chang one thing at a time to narrow it down. Again, more is NOT better ;)

8. chickadee1020

chickadee1020 Member

Thank you for the info! I definitely need to be better about cleaning my brushes. I think my current doctor also thinks it is stomach issues, which is why I've been off certain foods for the past couple off weeks. So far, nothing as changed but I'll keep trying. I'm definitely staying away from topicals - they already did enough damages a few years ago. I have a follow up appointment this week so we'll see what she says! I still need to get my blood work done.