AB CIRCUITS IDEAS THREAD

Discussion in 'Training' started by Patricia, May 13, 2011.

1. mjlivingfit

mjlivingfit New Member

How often should you train your abs?

2. Ange

Ange Member

My poor abs are sore just reading this, lol! It's only because I worked core today. Glad to have some other ideas/variations for next time.
    Quick question, hopefully someone can relate. Any core exercise that involves "straight legs" like the jackknife or straight bicycles are awkward for me. My legs automatically bend and feel strained or start shaking as I try to straighted them. Also, as I try to straighten them, my lower back arches. Does this (or has this) happened to anyone and could this issue be resolved over time with ham stretches routinely?
    Hopefully I can avoid a lower back injury or finesse my form with some advice. Thank you!

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

Are you working with a coach?

you might want to consider getting evaluated by an ART doc (www.activerelease.com ) it could be a tightness. I have that issue
    with burpees. They hurt my back. I do work with an ART doc and it is tightness and muscles that arent firing properly.

4. patti

patti Active Member

As you mentioned, stretching can certainly help with the ability to straighten the legs. Dynamic stretching before working out is beneficial (and required if you're an LBC-er! :lol:)
    Another thing to watch is how much you are lowering your legs. For example, as your abs/core become stronger, the ability to lower (and straighten) the legs will increase, and your back will be less likely to arch as much, so you may only want to lower your legs to about a 45 degree angle as opposed to lowering them to within inches of the floor. If the exercise allows, you can also place your hands under your buttocks - which will help take strain off the lower back and prevent arching.
    Straight leg bicycles could be done by placing the hands under the buttocks with the legs straight and up toward the ceiling. Engage the abs and lift the chest keeping tension on the abs. Slowly lower one leg and see how low you can take it before it begins to bend and when you begin to feel your back arch. Continuing to keep tension on the abs, bring the lowered leg up to start and perform with the other leg. Try using that technique until you are comfortable with it. When you are ready to progress, the hands can be placed at the ears keeping the elbows out to the sides (not folding in so they point toward the legs), lifting the chest and keeping that tension on the abs & performing the scissoring (bicycling) motion of the legs. Once you've mastered that, then progress to the upper body rotation along with the scissoring of the legs.

It may sound elementary, and I don't know what your fitness level is, but sometimes, even the most advanced athletes can benefit by going "back to basics" with exercise form. We all become such creatures of habit, and often develop bad habits along the way and don't even realize it!

• Like Like x 1
  5. Ange

Ange Member

(Ileen)
    I'm not working with a coach yet, I'm waitlisted at the present time. I used to have lower back issues when I was a teenager but ever since I took on a more active lifestyle and began being more concious of my posture, I haven't had any strains or back pain.

6. Ange

Ange Member

I appreciate the feedback and suggestions. I tried placing my hands under my bum for the straight leg bicycle and it resolved the back arching issue but I felt like I was cheating. I will take my baby steps for now and continue to stretch as much as possible and hopefully improve. :clap: Thank you ladies.

7. Jilly

Jilly New Member

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but for the ab circuits how many sets so you do of each?

8. Patricia

Patricia Well-Known Member

Sorry so late in replying...just saw this...

Usually for X amount of time (resting 1-2 min between circuits) or I'll just do it straight 3 times through.
    You're welcome. :D

9. Amber.nicole

Amber.nicole Member

Doing my first ab circuits today :bannana:

Burpees
    Bicycle w/straight legs
    Full contact twists
    Medicine ball v-point slams
    Leg climbs
    Inch Worm with leg kick
    Plank

10. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

No planks :D not metabolic enough.

11. Amber.nicole

Amber.nicole Member

Thank you!! Probably wouldn't have been able to hold them for long anyways:) I'll replace with mountain climbers. This should be interesting.

Are you the Steph that looked at my blood work for Amy? If so, Thanks!

12. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Yep that would be me :nod: Moutain climber FTW! Love em.

13. Radish8

Radish8 Member

Have my first AB Circuit tomorrow - I put together this circuit while wait listed........let me know if it's suitable
    - Boscu Burpees into overhead press with Boscu (these are killer)
    -Lying Windshield Wipers (start with legs in middle - legs to side back to middle to opp side count as I rep)
    -Clam Sit Ups
    -Hanging Leg Raises (straight leg)
    -Renegade Rows
    - Wood Chops
    -Mountain Climbers with hands on Bosu (knee to opp elbow each side then down into push up - that's one rep) *these are the BOMB!
    -Barbell Roll Out

*aim for 10 reps for each and repeat circuit 3 times*

any movement the next day is painful :p

14. patti

patti Active Member

So, how are you feeling today? :laugh:

15. Radish8

Radish8 Member

As long as I don't move...no problem - getting up and breathing is painful :faint:

16. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

the name of the game is to get your heart rate up and crushing your core by alternating more metabolic movements with more direct ab work. If you were sweating bullets and cursing at the end you did good! Make sure not to get stuck on one circuit though, best to switch them up, even if your just subbing out an exercise or two.

17. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

the name of the game is to get your heart rate up and crushing your core by alternating more metabolic movements with more direct ab work. If you were sweating bullets and cursing at the end you did good! Make sure not to get stuck on one circuit though, best to switch them up, even if your just subbing out an exercise or two.

18. patti

patti Active Member

Ah, breathing is overrated anyway... :funny:

19. Kaz

Kaz New Member

15 burpees
    50 bicycles
    50 mountain climbers
    15 3 point slams
    15 jack knives
    25 stability ball sit ups
    15 roll outs
    15 wood chops MB each side
    3 rounds

Loved it!!! :love:

20. Emma

Emma Member

I love my Ab/Core circuit, I'm happy if I'm training so was stoked to have these added to my program 3 weeks ago.

This is mine
    15 burpees
    Bicycle sit ups
    Wood Chooper with medicine ball
    Medicine ball sit ups (haven't dropped the ball in my face yet)
    Mountain Climbers
    Stability Ball pass over
    Hanging pull ups
    Russian Twists
    Ab pull down (25gm)

Repeat 3 times, 60 seconds breather between sets, takes me spot on 30 minutes, 15-25 reps of each exercise