A Basic Primer on Effective Training

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Erik, Dec 29, 2007.

1. shentellylace

shentellylace New Member

Monday: Upper Body

Tuesday: Lower Body/Abs

Wednesday: Off

Thursday: Upper Body

Friday: Off

Saturday: Lower Body/Abs

Sunday: Off

will it still be as affective to take saturday off instead of Friday? this was the schedule I was changing to do this week before reading this forum except with satruday and sunday being my off days. this forum had a lot of really great info, I haven't really been afraid of heavy weights but for some reason I have always thought to do 12-15 reps so great to know do less reps and heavier weights, and cover a big area rather than one muscle, thanks alot!!

2. Rachel

Rachel Member

Being with Amy is great! I am so excited about what I have learned and continue to learn. Looking forward to more pics from your progress!!!

3. Rachel

Rachel Member

Erik, I just finished reading this thread! So good! I just keep looking through all the stickies and always seem to find gems!

4. LadyV

LadyV Member

This was very helpful. I lift at home, we have free weights (no machines). I am a bit scared to do heavy heavy (especially squats) because I have no spotter. I am usually ALL alone in the house when I lift. Bench press and DL don't worry me too much and when I used to lift outside (weird, I know) squats didn't worry me because I would just step out and let it hit the ground. I can't do that anymore. Is that just going to be part of what I have to deal with? My husband will soon be building a squat rack that is attached to the wall and I think that will help a lot, he just hasn't had time.

5. baybygirl31

baybygirl31 Member

I think many of us don't use/need spotters. Once you find your starting point (I started with body weight squats) and can complete all your sets comfortably with proper form and tension, then you work your weight up from there. We don't just start heavy for the sake of going heavy.

6. LadyV

LadyV Member

I do squat with weights now, because I don't have a rack, I can only squat what I can press up to get it on my back. So, my concern I guess is that I know I CAN squat more, to get to the heavy Eric is referencing, but because of my setup, I can't. So, what does a person like me do? My husband is doing some intense training right now and has no time, but come July, he will have a Honey-Do list a mile long!

7. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

play with the tempo.. go slower.. like 301 or 401
    single leg movements dont require as much wt.

i have a full home gym with a cage but also have a gym membership too.

8. Christie1111

Christie1111 New Member

Just got through reading all this information. I have been doing nearly EVERYTHING wrong.

9. Jill.J

Jill.J New Member

Thanks for all the great info! Makes a lot of sense. :)

10. MamaGG

MamaGG New Member

I can't wrap my mind around only lifting 4 days a week... I've been doing 3 days on, 1 off.... Are you guys doing cardio on any of those off days? HIIT? ...

11. LoriAlbers

LoriAlbers New Member

It will die when old school trainers stop having clients do this. I had a trainer for over a year who had me do this every single day.

12. bhg4

bhg4 New Member

Erik,
    Using this split, do you suggest HIIT cardio on the off days or after workouts? if I have 20 pounds to lose. I have read and re-read all of your stickies. I am trying to wrap my head around this.

13. awanhowi

awanhowi New Member

Thank you Erik the information provide by you on Basic training of gym is very effective and useful for body.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  14. elvenheart

elvenheart Member

YEP! been there done that, it is literally spinning one's wheels. I tell myself , maybe add 10 minutes there, another HIIT here, another Tabata there. nothing nothing nothing. What ended up happening was binge eating late at night due to hunger (probably induced by excessive cardio and cutting carbs), OR going at it for 5 days-always those 5-then bingeing on protein bars and yoplait for 3 days. 1 inch up and down for weeks on end. I finally stopped cold turkey!

15. KYYY

KYYY New Member

OMG! Great info Erik! Thanks so much..:thumb:

16. leanfrank

leanfrank New Member

I read a lot of that but not quite all of it. I just wanted to add that I like to get in some interval cardio training because it really helps me see the results of lifting. Do you think that is just a perception I have or do you find any truth to what I am saying.

17. Marilyn

Marilyn Member

Thank you Erik. I need all of the info I can get. I'm such a newbie.

18. simba zee

simba zee New Member

Hmm ok..I us activtrax at the Y and it figures out my workouts for me. I am doing the heavier routine now.Usually has me doing one or two sets on specific machines...reps either 5-10 or 8-12...if I find I can do more than the 12 I try and bump the weight up next time. Maybe I should even try to keep it in the single digit level? I'm not sure exactly how much muscle I'm creating here..maybe more a maintain since I'm dieting. I do think I still have the newbie advantage though. Only been lifting since end of may 2012...and didnt start lifting heavier til later in oct..I should still be a newbiw right? Oh..and do things like rows and presses on machines count as compound?

19. JenBower

JenBower New Member

Great info Erik!! I'm going to have to start training this way! I'm excited :)

20. Celig7

Celig7 New Member

This is very different than the way I've been training! Time to make some changes. Thanks for the info.