A Basic Primer on Effective Training

Discussion in 'Beginner Training & Nutrition' started by Erik, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Holz

Holz Can I Look Like This Again?

Yeah, initially was training to lose fat, then started to prepare for a competition but never used heavy weights, ever, and always 12+ reps plus lots of cardio.

2. char-dawg

char-dawg Mr. Observant

I think a lot of women have trouble getting away from the "15+" rep ranges, simply because there's so much media conditioning about it. I've occasionally used it for my own purposes by incorporating a day of high reps in a three-day split: Day 1 would be 4-6 reps, Day 2 would be 8-10, and Day 3 would be 15 or thereabouts. Works very well for "getting people into shape" and seeing steady progress, although I wouldn't recommend it for a serious strength athlete. Hatfield's old idea of two sets at 25, 12-15 and 4-6 reps within a given workout works as well, although it's a lot more draining.

3. Holz

Holz Can I Look Like This Again?

I agree...pretty much every article you read encourages "high reps" citing that this way you put on "lean muscle" and not "bulk". I got stuck in that rut because of old-skool thoughts and beliefs - and reading articles in magazines, etc. But after I became certified (with ISSA) I started trying out different principles, including Hatfield's that you mentioned above, but it was "comfortable" to always fall back into the same ol' same ol' - the 4-day split with 12-15 reps - 2 different body parts per day.

My previous trainer used a lot of old skool stuff, as well. In fact, before coming to Erik, I was using my previous trainer's workouts.

4. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

When oh when is that stupid myth going to die. :sad:

5. pmbpro

pmbpro New Member

This is great info, Erik!

I hadn't really tried this either... lifting heavy weights fast.

Instead of me being distracted by trying so many different things too (due to my own impatience :dope:), looks like I'd have to go back to the basics mentioned in your posts that 'd strayed away from over time.

6. epona

epona Member

wow

Great thread. You've all got me so excited to hit the gym for the first time in years tonight. :yayconfetti:

7. DeniseT

DeniseT Member

So glad I found you Erik! One day a week is what my "trainer" had me doing and no wonder why I wasn't seeing results. I love your focus on "training smarter, not harder".

8. ErinLeigh

ErinLeigh Member

So if one is doing an upper/lower split as drawn out in page one of this thread, how many exercises per body part (ie: chest, shoulders, etc) and how many sets per body part would be a good amount of volume? Thanks in advance!

9. Erik

Erik Admin

Answering that would require the actual design of a program. There is no singular answer to that question.

The volume - exercise number/sets/reps is at the crux of program design.

There are a number of 'depends' factors.

10. Trapezoid

Trapezoid New Member

Another very informative post, Erik! I broke the practice of doing hours of cardio per week and eating very few carbs. Now I am working on wrapping my head around doing fewer reps and more weight!!! It's not so easy to re-train your brain when you've been told for so long that that's how you should train.

11. Erik

Erik Admin

You can't really grasp on to anything new until you completely 'let go' of things of old.

12. CathyK

CathyK New Member

Thanks very much for this Erik. As a newbie to Amy's program, used to doing a split routine for over 20 years-YIKES, your explanation makes ALOT of sense to me! Thanks again!

13. Erik

Erik Admin

Happy to hear that.

14. michele.m

michele.m Member

i just read this and the info was very very helpful.
    thanks so much!

15. Andreglok

Andreglok Member

great info, i am going to apply into my work outs and try to build some muscle! go heavy!!! and less Reps :weights2:

16. RuthieJ

RuthieJ New Member

I started to run in early April to try to get into better condition for the tennis season with my competitive husband. I kept running with a group, and I ran 900 miles in 8 months. It wasn't until I read Erik's rants about cardio and efficiency 9 (honda civic vs cadillac escalade) that I put the brakes on running completely. Literally, one day I just stopped. I hadn't lost ONE pound, ONE inch, or ONE percentage of body fat! I was going fast, too. Not your 10 min/mile pace, I was in the high 7's to mid 8's per mile (first ever half marathon in Detroit 1:52). IT. DID. NOTHING. for my physique! Erik, I love your articles, rants, and anecdotes. Signing up with Amy via Erik was the best decision I could have made! No more months of cardio (maybe if I do more, for longer, much faster, I'll see results), no more 12-15 at 8lbs. I'm down fat and scale weight and going up in lean muscle mass. How? Nutrition adherence and HEAVY LIFTING!

• Like Like x 1
  17. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

congrats Ruthie! and welcome.

18. gofigure

gofigure New Member

Amen - I went through this as well (the running part). Glad to know I'm not alone! Great info!!

19. runn3rgirl

runn3rgirl New Member

Great information! Thanks Erik!

20. ladyface

ladyface New Member

This is GREAT information, Erik!!!!! Thank you so much!!!!! :) :) :)