7 Thyroid Issues Your Doc Likely Missed

Discussion in 'Health & Beauty' started by Erik, Feb 17, 2010.

1. kerenwest18

kerenwest18 New Member

Thanks so much for answering my questions, Ileen. I really appreciate it!

2. AlliHope

AlliHope New Member

I too have reynauds, and finally after years of all the thyroid symtoms I had a dr. tell me my TSH was just over normal so they tested T3&T4 and turns out i was Hypo, but my numbers still were not bad...I went on Armour only 30mg, felt a lot better for a while and now 1 year later my symptoms are coming back (hair loss is the biggest and constipation) after not having most for the last year. Still, weight loss is really hard and I gain. My last blood test numbers did come back worse but not enough they wanted to change my prescription. I eat clean and I should be losing with what I eat. Because I am great shape, and I eat very clean and healthy my dr. isn't concerned I havent been able to lose my 10lbs and that I gain so easily. I moved, so I need to find new drs. and its just frustrating.

3. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

find a new dr hun.. one that will treat you by symptoms and not number..

what were your levels for FREE t3 and Free T4? always get and keep copies of your tests/records.

4. AlliHope

AlliHope New Member

Well since I moved I have to find new drs. anyway. I have to get the reccords of my last bloodwork done. Anyone in Tampa, FL area have any recommendations for drs?

5. Doyle

Doyle New Member

I have ten of those symptoms. I got iron pills for anemia. She wouldn't order the tests for anything hormonal.

6. Oduwe

Oduwe Member

Great post. nicely put together...

7. Athlete1003

Athlete1003 New Member

Does anyone know whether using Armour is better than Levothyroxine? :/ I'm so overwhelmed with all the hypothyroidism information out there!

8. stephm2010

stephm2010 In Motion

Armour gives both hormones T4 and T3. Levo is T4 only. In my opinion Armour is a million times better as most people don't convert T4 to the more active hormone T3 like they are supposed to.

9. Athlete1003

Athlete1003 New Member

Thanks so much for your reply, Steph! Just the other day at my doc appt I asked if I could try armour instead of levo, but I wasn't entirely sure if I'd be worse off! Your comment was reassuring. I'll be trying out armour for three months and then will have blood work done.

10. Monte

Monte New Member

I'm reading through all of this hormone/thyroid stuff and trying to dial in what's going on with me. I'm so frustrated! I started having symptoms a couple of years ago, to include all of the listed ones and then some. I always told people my body felt like it had a "switch", where I'd be feeling great, could lose weight easily, felt rested and energetic, etc. Then all of a sudden it would hit me and I'd be crazy hungry, gain weight like crazy, be horribly fatigued, constipation... On and on. I did a round of infertility drugs almost a year ago and instead of irregular menses, it went away completely and all of my symptoms got worse. I've seen several Endos and my general Dr. several times to no avail. My blood work keeps coming back "normal" except I had zero Estrogen and very low Progesterone for which I'm now taking medication.

I just had more blood work done and it says my thyroid antibodies are 95 or something. One the bottom of the blood work page it says that's high, but my Dr. keeps saying it's normal. I'm so confused, but all I know is that all of my symptoms seem to match exactly a thyroid problem. I really want to get this figured out as I'm 39 and haven't been able to get pregnant and I wonder if this is the problem?!? I'm losing time and my Dr. isn't much help so I have appts with another Dr. as well as an Endo.

I'd love any advice!

11. Inatic

Monte do you have your labs? Always get copies.
    If you have thyroid antibodies, most patients feel best mediated for treatment.

Do you have compounding pharmacies near by? I'd stop in and chat with one.

12. Monte

Monte New Member

I have my labs... Although I don't understand them. My thyroid antibodies says 95. It says "normal" is <35, and at the bottom of the page it says they are "out of range", yet my Dr. says it's normal. I'm so confused! On the "out of range" at the bottom of the page it also says my T3, free is out of range at 2.1 and my BUN Creatinine ratio is out of range at 23.5 as well. I have no idea what to do with this information except that I have several more appts booked with several other Dr.'s. The sucky part is that it seems like all Dr.'s are booked out MONTHS and I'd love some answers sooner than later! I'm carrying around 22 lbs that I gained rapidly (in about a month) and can't seem to lose now. My body hurts and I'm miserable, not to mention, NONE of my clothes fit! Something is not right and I know I'm not a freaking hypochondriac!

Thanks so much for your response. I'm so desperate I appreciate any input!!

13. Monte

Monte New Member

Oh, and what's a compounding pharmacy? I've never heard that term before??

14. Inatic

This type of pharmacy does mixing of drugs verses just dispensing the typical drugs. Try googling compounding pharmacies in your area or areas you are willing to drive to.

15. Monte

Monte New Member

Holy cow, there's one close to me! I am going by today or tomorrow... I'm confused by their website if it is more "natural" medications or "western" type meds, but either way, I'm going to stop and chat with them. I'm willing to try anything at this point. Thanks so much again for the advice!

16. Monte

Monte New Member

Another question... I was diagnosed with Hashimoto's today with a thyroid antibody level of 95. I've seen that the "normal" range is <34 so my question is, would I be considered Hashimoto's at this level? I've seen people have levels of 800-1000, so I'm wondering if I truly have it, or if maybe I'm borderline? I can't seem to find an answer to what is considered "high" anywhere!

17. Monte

Monte New Member

Also, what are some good thyroid forums I can check out? Thank you!! I can't tell you how much I appreciate your time. I feel like after years of feeling like crap I might be starting to get some answers!

18. Inatic

Monte, there are many Drs that feel any antibodies, even in range is positive for hashi's. Mine was out of range only by less than what yours is when i was diagnosed but i felt like death warmed over and nearly cracked up. Once i was optimized on thyroid medication, my levels retreated into 'normal' range. It just means now, they arent in full on attack mode but it doesnt change the need for treatment.

Other levels like estrogen and some feel gluten, can affect ones antibodies levels so its important to get full testing of sex hormones as well.

Stop the thyroid madness has some great links to read as well as thyroid.about.com.

19. Monte

Monte New Member

Oh my gosh, this is exactly how I feel - And for several years now! I seriously can't thank you enough. I feel like I've had more progress in these last few days thanks to you and it feels really good to have a few answers finally. I've had quite a bit of blood work done over the last two years, but no one has tested for the antibodies and one other thyroid something or other which I'm still waiting for results on. I've had NO estradiol and low progesterone for a year now (since a round of infertility drugs whacked me out...) and I've been on synthetic meds for those since to little avail (and low testosterone, but no HRT for that yet). I had a thyroid ultrasound today and should get those results back next week as well.

I've also been suspect of Candida for quite some time and have done a strict Candida diet in the past but gave it up and went nuts :faint: Now I started the Candida diet again last week and have been reading a ton lately how it's very closely related/caused by or whatever you want to call it to thyroid issues. Crazy how it's all coming together now.

The best part is that I see people like you and so many others who are so lean and look amazing and I'm hopeful that I can finally put on some muscle and lean up!