4 day upper/lower split

Discussion in 'Training' started by Leah, Jul 12, 2006.

1. jasrich

jasrich Member

Sorry, one more, I seem to have developed a tweaked inner thigh/groin muscle. It's not bad, but it's been going on for a few weeks and it hasn't really improved. Which of these lower body exercises do I need to be most careful about? SHELCs look live they could cause me a little trouble for one. Squats with hams touching ankles is just going to be painful no matter what.

2. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Just don't go too gung-ho. You need to work on form more than weight right now.

3. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

When I said "hams touching calves" I didn't mean your hams have to touch as low as your ankles. I have very long legs and a short torso, so there's no way I can get that low. So in my case a full squat means hams touching the tops of my calves. I also have to use a shoulder-width stance with my feet turned out about 30* in order to hit a full squat.

I'd say that anything that hurts too much should be avoided. I don't think RDLs should be a problem, but if SHELCS hurt too much you could do back extensions, or 45* back extensions. Aside from BB back squats there are also front squats you could try, but they require a fair amount of wrist flexibility. Worse comes to worse you could always do leg presses.

Are you suffering from information overload yet? :lol:

4. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Scarl3tbutt3rfly Motivated and ready!!

I'm wanting to change stuff up a little after my current 8 weeks is up. I'm doing a horizontal/vertical split ATM.

I was thinking of doing a push/pull split, however, after writing it up wondered if I'd be effecting my effectiveness by doing 2 of the same action with the heavy sets doing the same action. Ex. Pushing or pulling. And the second heavy exercise would suffer. Or maybe I'd get something different out of it. What is the consensus on this?

Meaning doing heavy bench press then heavy push presses on same day? Or am I better off just sticking to vert/horiz. Heavy bench with heavy back rows, etc?

5. Sohee

Sohee working on the bikini body

What is the reasoning behind wanting to do this?

I can't answer your question fully, but I've never seen anyone do heavy horizontal push/ heavy vertical push on the same day.

6. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

There wasn't a specific reason except looking to change stuff around. But then after thinking about it realized that TRYING to do 2 pushes or 2 pulls in the same day would probably inhibit the second one. (have to use less weight than I'm capable).

Just wondering if this would just end up overworking triceps and shoulders too much in one day.

7. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

Speaking from my own experience I'll say that doing heavy benching and heavy overhead pressing on the same day doesn't work. Whichever one I do second suffers, whereas I don't have that problem when doing heavy benching and heavy rowing on the same day.

8. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Yeah, that is what I was thinking. Im thinking Im not going to do that. I was trying to write up something that is more full body, but 4 days a week. Basically built around the 5x5 strength workout. Still messing with it. Mostly because of the days I can actually workout etc. I would love some feedback though. Im so aware of not overtraining anything, that sometimes I worry Im not training stuff enough. But it seems right. Just would like some feedback just because it is a little different.

Basically it is like:
    Edited: look at following post

My main issue now is that I have 2 days that are back to back. So thinking I may do the Day 1, followed by the Day 2. Or to rearrange the heavy together so the second day that is back to back with the other, is just all light work. Not sure.

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  9. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Revised. Day 1 and 2 would be back to back. Other than that one full day of rest in between. I want to focus in tris and shoulders. Any suggestions?

Is this enough heavy work? And by heavy I mean 5x5ish. Light would be around 8reps or so. That is about the heavy work Im doing at the moment with my Horiz/Vertical split. But would give me more variety of rep ranges if I did it like this. As far as Accessory, I was thinking of throwing a Tricep, a Shoulder lateral, Ham curls, and calves in there. Those are where I need to most growth atm. Does this sound reasonable. Im worried about adding triceps somewhat because basically this workout sorta has me doing arms every day of this. Seems overall to be a good plan I think. I have 2 more weeks on my current plan before I was going to change stuff up, on top that I am planning on starting to diet a bit after that (Middle of Jan).

I really enjoy doing more a full body regimen, or at least I have when I did the 5x5 workout before.

Day 1:
    Squats (heavy)
    Bench press (heavy)
    Back Rows (light)
    accessory

Day 2:
    lat pulldowns (light)
    Push Presses(heavy)
    RDLs(light)
    accessory

Day 3:
    Rack Pulls (heavy)
    Upper bench press (light)
    Squats (or some version, light)
    Accessory

Day 4:
    Deadlifts (heavy)
    Pull ups (heavy)
    Military Press (light)
    Accessory

Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
  10. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Just bumping this, I edited some stuff.

11. smuggie

smuggie Maureen aka Mo

I'm not sure I understand the rationale behind doing full-body workouts four times a week. You're not going to be getting enough recovery time with a setup like this. And on top of that you're thinking of adding accessory work.

If you like full body workouts then stick with three times a week, or continue with a four-day upper/lower split. You also have the option of doing one UB workout, one LB workout, and one full-body workout per week.

12. Erik

Erik Admin

i've done and created 4x/week full body programs - just with different parameters and emphasis on each day. It can work if designed right.

13. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

I appreciate your comment, Smuggie.

As far as doing a full body 4x/week. I guess the reason has to do with working out more than 3 times a week. I'd like to add at least another day. Also, I thought if I just added another day of deadlift/pullup/shoulder press day. That wouldnt be that big a deal, since the 5x5 routine only had 1 day of that. The other 2 days of this workout, the squat/bench/row day are pretty much the same. In reality, it isn't truely a FULL body. It is more like a horizontalsquat/verticaldeadlift split LOL.

The 5x5 workout has you doing:

Squats
    Bench
    Row

DL
    Squats
    Pullups
    Shoulder Press

Squats
    Bench
    Row

So I figured adding another day of DL/Pullups/Sh press wouldnt be that big a deal to make the regimen 4 days.

As far as accessory work. At the most I was going to do, if at all was 1 tricep exercise, 1 shoulder lateral, 1 hamstring (total) not each day. That was where I was the most torn though. So may not do any, except calves, and some abs.

Now not saying one of my concerns wasnt recovery. But being that Im doing benches one day and dont do benches again for a full 3-4 days again, same with all of the rest. I do do upper body, but instead of bench/row..I was going to do sh press/pullup, which would still be 2 days apart.

Does this 1 day really hurt that much? Especially since I am making it a light weight workout, doing RDLs, lat pulldwns, and light military press. Or is it more the back to back day you are talking about.

If this extra DL/pullup/sh press day is too much volume. Can you give me a suggestion on something to add to the 3 day workout that would give me 4? That is really all Im wanting. I guess I feel lazy only doing weights 3 days a week :/ It is psychological yes, but I would just feel better with 4.

I guess I didnt want to continue doing the horizontal/vertical split, because it always seems the same, like Im never changing anything. And I like to try and keep things fresh.

14. Scarl3tbutt3rfly

Sorry, missed this, you mustve posted exactly when I did!

My plan was to have different parameters, of course I dont know if this is really what you mean or not. The heavy exercises as they are stated would be a 5x5, while the light, might be 3x8 or 4x8. Not sure if that is what you mean.

15. Cathie

Cathie I have SFP :mecry:

:bump:

16. Dayna

Dayna Member

I don't know about anyone else... But I'm overloaded n I like it!, lol

17. SheChampion

SheChampion New Member

I know this is an old post but where are these??
    Please:)

18. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

the split info is in the beginning of this thread. Go back to page 1.

19. teresa333

teresa333 New Member

Inatic, how long should I be resting between sets? Should I be warming up and if so with a weight work up or on cardio machine?

20. Inatic

Inatic Ya Gotta Wanna! Moderator

rest intervals up to you and how you set your program

we never warm up on cardio machines.. you warm up to lift by dynamic warm ups (there is a thread some where) and then lighter to heavier wt to your working sets/